Sea Buckthorn - A Unique Health Tonic
Since time began, sea buckthorn, also called seaberry and sandthorn, has been used for the preparation of innumerable herbal medicines. The deciduous shrub, found all over Asia and Europe, plays a significant role in preventing soil erosion and enhancing the fertility of soil through nitrogen fixation. The bright orange, juicy berries are edible and highly nutritious. Apart from saturated, monosaturated and polysaturated fatty acids, the fruit is a rich source of Vitamin C, carotenoids, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, flavonols, amino acids, iron, phosphorus, beta-sitosterol and dietary minerals. There are many more health benefits of seaberry. Let's find out what makes seabuckthorn a unique health tonic.
- Is good for your heart- The fruit of sandthorn contains a large amount of omega-7 fatty acid, also known as vaccenic acid. According to a study conducted by the University of Alberta in 2008, vaccenic acid helped to reduce total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol and triglycerides in rats that were administered this trans-fat for a period of sixteen weeks. Omega-7 fatty acid present in the seabuckthorn works in the same manner in human beings. Additionally, it is also found to reduce cellular inflammation and irritation in the lining of the arteries. Thus, seaberry helps to cut down the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- Helps you to lose weight- Vaccenic acid is also an effective appetite suppressant. You do not eat much when your appetite is suppressed. However, to carry out various functions properly, your body needs a specific amount of energy. Due to reduction in food intake, the body doesn't get sufficient number of calories. As the result, the fat stored in the adipose tissue is metabolized to fill-up the gap. Owing to the oxidation of fats, your body weight starts its journey towards south.
- Boosts up immunity- Polyphenols of seaberry boost up your immunity in two ways; firstly, they stimulate the production of T-cells, and secondly, they activate interleukin-2. While the former play an important part in cell-mediated immunity, the latter is a leukocytotrophic hormone, which is instrumental in preparing the body to work effectively against microbial infection. Beta sitosterol present in sandthorn helps to heal wounds, ulcers, burns and scalds speedily.
- Provides dermatological benefits- Seabuckthorn works efficiently against all the signs of aging like dark circles, fine lines, wrinkles, transparent skin, visible skin pores, skin dryness, and so forth. On the one hand, it accelerates cell regeneration cycle, and on the other hands, it decelerates cell maturation process. Seaberry ensures that both the processes occur in antagonistic manner so that all the flaws of the skin disappear rapidly. In addition to alleviating symptoms of obdurate skin diseases as psoriasis, acne, eczema, it is also an efficacious suntan blocker.
- Works as a powerful antioxidant- The presence of carotenoids and polyphenols make seabuckthorn a powerful antioxidant. Free radicals produced because of oxidation reaction initiate chain reactions that can either cause cell death or bring about deleterious changes in it. By blocking oxidation reactions, antioxidants prevent the formation of free radicals and thereby reduce the risk of obstinate diseases like CHD (Coronary Heart Disease) and cancer.